Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Moderator Candidate's Statement

Hello, my name is Karen Sullivan. I have lived in Ashfield for 28 years. My children grew up here, attending Sanderson and Mohawk. I opened a business in town (Berkshire Trading Company), worked for a local landscaping company, cooked for the Double Edge Theatre Group and had the privilege of caring for some of our town elders. I make handwoven baskets that have sold at Fall Festival for many years. Recently, I filled an unexpired term on the school committee. This May, I am running for town moderator.

Why am I running? I see our town moving in a new direction. For town government to work, individuals need to get involved. For most, getting involved may simply mean stating your opinion openly and without fear. I believe a moderator’s job is to make sure every voice is heard, not just some. A moderator should not impose their opinion about any issue that arises at town meeting, but remain objective.

As moderator, my goal would be to make sure that everyone feels comfortable asking questions or stating their position. I intend to help people understand how the rules work. It is my hope that by helping people understand the rules, individuals will not feel intimidated by the process, but feel comfortable actively participating in the discussion at our town meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment