Thursday, April 22, 2010

Library Trustee Candidate Statement

As a professional editor and writer, my life revolves around books. And as someone who lives in a house that’s already pretty full of books, much of my reading life revolves around the Belding Memorial Library. The stacks provide a lot of my light reading, and Anne Judson has often pulled in more obscure volumes for me through inter-library loan. So when I heard of the opening on the Board of Trustees, I decided it was an ideal chance to do my part for the town.

I would bring to the position my past experience as a trustee, including a two-year stint as treasurer. I would also bring my deep love for the library as a source of great literature and fun reading, a place to meet and share news, and (very important to those of us who live out in dial-up land) a public high-speed internet access node.

I’d also bring a willingness to tackle the serious challenges the library is facing at the moment, from the water leakage in the basement to the financing problems that are hitting the book-buying budget particularly hard. We need to make sure the children’s library stays well-stocked, since this is where so many children learn about the joys of reading. I can still remember books I read from the children’s section of the small library in my hometown in Pennsylvania.

I’ve gotten so much from the library – and the town – over the years. I’d love the opportunity to give something back.

David King

No comments:

Post a Comment