Sunday, June 20, 2010

On Energy Responsibility

This blog has become a very windy place. But isn’t it time we considered just what kind of energy we think Ashfield should use? I challenge anyone to come up with a method of electrical generation that’s perfect and causes no hardship or inconvenience to anyone anywhere.

And I’m not talking about what might be available at some future date. I know everyone in this town is sufficiently well-informed to know that the ice caps are melting now, the weather is crazy now, and the electricity we are using at this moment--I to write this, you to read it-- is making the planetary problem worse.

By “we” I do not mean some generic “we as a species,” or “we as a nation.” I mean we Ashfielders, who, at this very moment, are plugged into a grid sucking electricity made in many different ways, but all involving the risk, hardship, and sometimes complete destruction of places and people far away.

My dear friends and neighbors, is that fair?

Isn’t it time to ask ourselves and each other how we can do our bit? Right now Ashfield’s electricity meter is running in the wrong direction. I would be so very proud of us if we could at least consider our responsibility to reverse it.

In the meanwhile, I think we should take a break from all this windiness.

Ruth Julian

No comments:

Post a Comment