Thursday, December 10, 2009

An Open Letter to the Selectboard Chair

Dear Mr. Murray,

I felt last week's Selectboard meeting was the beginning of CHANGE. Issues long awaiting attention are beginning to surface, and I felt they would be dealt with.

Your statement to Channel 22 and the Recorder that the people are exhausted and the town is depleted is not true, at least in my case, as I have the right to speak only for myself. I and others have been attending meetings and putting forth effort to stay with the problems plaguing Ashfield for many months now, and I am feeling energized that change is happening.

The resignation of John is only the surface as I see it. There are many other problems as important throughout the police department, town hall and now the assessor’s office. For instance: the breaking of the elections law, the missing e-mails, abuse of power, Seth Cranston's alleged harassment issue with a former assessor's clerk for which the town is now paying unemployment and the fact that the harassment was known of by a former selectboard member and other assessors who did nothing about it. If you remember, or perhaps you were not on the board then, but, during a selectboard meeting, Cynthia Cranston demanded from Dave Deherdt a promise of a "zero tolerance policy" towards harassment.

The harassment class, which I believe you attended, makes clear that a person aware of harassment is as guilty as the perpetrator if they do not expose the problem. Therefore, the selectboard had a responsibility to do something. I feel that Emma did the right thing in bringing up this issue--she exposed a problem. Her letter contained no names. Seth stood up and outed himself.

As for the police department, I feel Kristina N. has acted with intimidation, i.e. five uniformed police (off duty?) at a selectboard meeting amongst the citizens. I feel she is insubordinate during the meetings, and I question her right to speak, since she is not a resident of the town. I do not feel confident in the police department at this time. I feel we, as a town, need to take our time in finding a well-qualified police chief with outstanding references who has had no prior relations with Ashfield. Perhaps Kendal Chow should be asked, as a man with 23 years experience, to help with the choosing of a new chief. I am sure that his experience and knowledge would be a great asset. And in the interim, perhaps he should be asked to step in as the acting chief.

You have obtained much information through your interviews and investigations. I hope that you will honor those that have come forth and stepped up to the plate with valuable info. This information will help the process of cleaning house and correcting all the improprieties that have been going on for many years in this town.

I trust, Ted, as you were elected by citizens of this town, that you will do your job with respect for all the taxpayers and those concerned citizens. I would like to see a zero tolerance policy in all the town governments, and transparency as well. We, the citizens, have the right to know.

Sincerely,

Karen Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment