Monday, December 28, 2009

Elmer's These Days

What a wonderful poem Don Lesure posted! I love it when the past is so connected to the present, as it is through that piece of writing! With Don’s permission I’d like to post it at Elmer’s (formerly Crafts) where it should live forever.

I also read Jim Maloney’s piece with its notes to the present-day Elmer’s. I don’t fully understand the reference to the public meetings held there, but I would like to say that indeed, all are welcome at Elmer’s. Elmer’s was an integral part of this town long before I showed up, and while I have heard that not all in the present day feel comfortable there, I would like to assure you that every single person, regardless of their politics is welcome and appreciated, and if for some reason someone does not feel as such, please let me know, for I am thrilled at all who come there to pass their valuable time.

As far as the coffee goes; our coffee is more expensive because it’s organic, which is important to some. For others that’s not so important. I like the idea that Ashfield can serve the needs of the entire town, including in coffee preferences. But in accordance with my desire that Elmer’s belong to all, many times I have handed the coffee to someone and said, “Just give me what you got.” While I appreciate the money needed to stay in business, I also appreciate that not everyone has that much money for coffee and, truly, I’d rather have your company than not.

At the same time, I don’t want to take away from Phil’s coffee business at Neighbors, so, if there’s something we have that you’d like to partake of, get your coffee at Neighbors and bring it over to Elmer’s for whatever it is we have that interests you! One of our customers buys her coffee at Phil’s and brings it to Elmer’s to read the paper, where she sits beside me, as I eat the sandwich I bought at Neighbors, or the pizza I bought at Country Pie.

It is a small town. We all need each other. I respect the desire of any who don’t want to come to Elmer’s for whatever reason, but I do want you to know that you are welcome there at all times.

Thanks and I appreciate the forum,

Nan Parati
Elmer’s Store

No comments:

Post a Comment