Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Emma Svoboda's Letter of Resignation

December 1, 2009

Ashfield Select Board
Main Street
Ashfield, MA, 01330

Dear Ashfield Select Board:

Please accept this letter as my resignation from the Ashfield Board of Assessors, effective immediately. My decision is based on recently learning the contents of a former town employee's resignation letter, which is supported by the final judgement entered by a Massachusetts Administrative Court. These documents contain enough concern to investigate the alleged harassment by the current chairman of the Board of Assessors. To my knowledge, the Select Board has not done so. I feel that over six months is a reasonable amount of time to examine the alleged harassment, especially when another employee from the Assessor's office resigned in that period. A Select Board should investigate alleged harassment of all elected officials and paid employees, regardless of who they are or what type of harassment is alleged. I hope my resignation will prompt some action by the Select Board. If not, I have brought it to your attention, as I am obligated to do. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Respectfully submitted,

Emma Svoboda

2 comments:

  1. I was covering the meeting where Emma gave her resignation (I am doing a little freelance work for Ginny at the Independent) and I was unclear as to the point of the resignation. There would seem to be a number of ways to make the point of the problems in the Asessor's office without resigning. And resigning in this economy? Seems pretty drastic. So, what is really going on here?

    ReplyDelete